Tags

, , ,

Well, look at at. The day I write to say that *nothing* was happening, everything started to.

Thursday started with a trip to Ikea to pick up our sink and countertops, and ended up empty-handed in the countertop department. Nearly everything was out until APRIL. I should’ve figured… have we ever been to Ikea (the kitchen department, specifically) and walked away with everything we needed? Never. For countertops, we were specifically looking at this one, since it fit our deeper-than-normal 28” cabinets, when most countertops reach only 25 or so inches. All they had left were a few of these less-deep pieces in Oak. Bummer. We left to consider our options.

After an evening of trolling the internet for other cost-effective wood options, we found nothing even remotely close to the $200-$300 we’d be dropping on these Ikea slabs. So, after some measuring and scheming, we cooked up a plan to beef up the backsplash and go back for the 25 5/8” pieces before they were sold out too. Four and half hours, roundtrip, later… we had our countertops, our sink, and a range hood that was $100 off and going out of stock. Sweet.

So this weekend, we started tackling the kitchen.

We started by measuring the recessed backsplash for the tile, then building it up. Using wood blocks and a long board that was already there, we built up this area to accommodate the 25 5/8” countertops. 
Next, we laid out the subway tile and adhered the Bondera tile mat to the built-out backspash. Super easy.
The tile goes up! We used 2 x 4 white porcelain subway tiles for a classic look. It was extra-easy to use since it already came pre-spaced. 
Time to grout. We choose white, so the lines would blend with the tile, rather than contrast. 
Done! (Well, almost. We miscalculated on the tile and had to buy more/finish it today.)
And finally! The counters are cut and the new stove (delivered today!) is in. Next week our carpenter will be over to modify the normal sink cabinet for the Farmer’s sink, and make the necessary adjustments to add the dishwasher!  

All told, it took about 10 hours total – most of it was measuring, second-measuring, and adjusting. After the two-trip situation to Ikea, I wasn’t about to run back due to a miscalculated cut. We still need to treat the countertop, and I’m still deciding whether I should chance doing it with stain and poly, which is technically food-safe after it’s dry, but if cut or scratched, could pose a hazard since the materials are toxic chemicals. Many have suggested oiling it with good old-fashioned Mineral Oil. So… the research continues!

Advertisements